Sunday, November 7, 2010

That's Life

I think I  was born in the wrong generation sometimes. I think I should have been 26 in 1951. When movies were black and white- and you had to dress up to go to the theater or ride on a plane. When you were actually courted. People had block parties with fireworks and baseball. When music wasn't about big pimpin and Patron. When people danced at the same place that they ate dinner and wore gloves and pearls when they went out. Times "seemed" more innocent back then. The music in the 50's was the best. How can you say you dont like Frank Sinatra, Etta James, Ray Charles,Elvis, and lets not forget Richie Valens (La bamba)
My all time favorite music is and always will be Nat King Cole. His voice is beautiful. His lyrics are simple. I've been listening to his music a lot lately. I close my eyes and envision dancing in the living room with a dapper husband wearing a sweater with a pipe, me in my dress with pearls. Nat reminds me of Christmas as well. He really does have the best Christmas album. I first heard of this very successful artist from my father. I remember being very very young, laying under the Christmas tree staring at the lights with Nat King Cole's The first noel. I remember the smell and even the ornaments. Its such a small, simple memory and I must have been about 6. But i remember that night specifically. Louis Armstrong is great too. His raspy, strong, boastful voice makes you smile with every song you hear. I went to Washington DC last year, when i was in the Smithsonian museum they have all these displays of the "times" starting with the civil war. Once it gets to the 50's my heart tugs at everything. Its right around the time when technology is becoming the way of life- people replacing their radios for TVs, and portable radios. But, Ella Fitzgerald is playing on the radio "the very thought of you" Life was about family, picnics in the park, and family trips in the car to the grand canyon. Television shows were leave it to beaver and I love Lucy. For some reason I just love everything about that time. Maybe its the stories that the music tells, or the seemingly perfect generation the movies display, I don't know what it is.
Jimmy Durante is a great singer as well. "As time goes by" moonlight and love songs..never out of date- Ahh so wonderful.
I am so sick of music today. I go through these spurts like 2x a year. I get fed up with the way the times are now, and wish i could go back in time when ice cream floats and burgers were good. and walking through your neighborhood without mace spray and feeling the warm breeze kiss your cheeks. Having actual trumpets in the music.
Of course there are some negative things about the 50's and women. But overall, and to be honest, I think times were better then than they are now.

This post is a rambling of nothings it seems. But I do want to leave with one of my most favorite songs, its been playing in my mind a lot lately. (if you can guess who its by, I'll give you a present! )

Goodbye, no use leading with our chins
This is where our story ends
Never lovers, ever friends
Goodbye, let our hearts call it a day
But before you walk away
I sincerely want to say
I wish you bluebirds in the spring
To give your heart a song to sing
And then a kiss, but more than this
I wish you love
And in July a lemonade
To cool you in some leafy glade
I wish you health
But more than wealth
I wish you love
My breaking heart and I agree
That you and I could never be
So with my best
My very best
I set you free
I wish you shelter from the storm
A cozy fire to keep you warm
But most of all when snowflakes fall
I wish you love
I wish you love

I wish you love

I wish you love, love, love, love, love

I wish you love



2 comments:

  1. I was talking about this very topic the other day with my friend Justin! How we wish you still had to put on a cocktail dress for dinner at a restaurant.

    By the way, there's a version of that song by Rachel Yamagata that is really hard to find, but it's on the end of the movie Prime, and it's lovely!

    I'm so excited for our trip. SO EXCITED! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post. Although I don't share the same sentiments, I do love Sinatra and Elvis and especially Louis Armstrong! To be honest, I am very uneducated with the history of the 50s. All I know about them is that my mom was born in 51, and .... yup, that's it. haha

    But I guess your love of the olden days just goes to show your hopeless romantic side, always believing in a better day and age. Hoping to find purity and integrity and simplicity in complex, evil world.

    For a dreamer, night is the only time of day...

    ReplyDelete